Sunday, March 06, 2005

Slight Amendment

OK, after my last ranting entry, I happened to visit my local Barnes & Noble. And I have to confess that the newest offerings on the romance novel shelves did not include any of those horrible clinch covers I was just whinging about. In fact, the two books I picked up (my reason for the trip), Mr. Impossible by Loretta Chase and Fantasy Lover by Sherrilyn Kenyon, both had fairly respectable covers. Of course, the title Fantasy Lover kind of negated any non-clinch cover, but that wasn't the claim of my rant below.

One thing I think cover artists could do to help the genre as a whole is do away with all of the fancy script embossing. You could have a solid white cover for a book entitled Meditations on Advanced Quantum Physics but if you put the title in a gold-embossed scroll-y type with plenty of flourishes and embellishments, it would fit right in on the romance novel shelves.

No comments: