Thursday, August 11, 2005

I'm A Guest! I'm A Guest!

I'm so excited!! I get to refer you to RTB for my official blog entry for today. I submitted an entry to be an August guest blogger and actually got picked. Can I consider that being quasi-published?

Anyway, a couple of interesting things going on. Candy and Sara, the uber Smart Bitches, are waxing very intelligent about some criticism hurled at them via AAR's message boards. I'm impressed that they are replying in such an intelligent and civil way. Not that these gals aren't both intelligent and civil. Just that this kind of stuff usually sends me into fits of ranting, with some name calling and flaming responses thrown in for good messure.

I agree with what they both have to say about the issue. It's funny, but of the two extremes of the spectrum as far as romance novels go - inspirational and romantica or erotica - I personally would cross the street to avoid the former rather than the latter. I think it's because erotica just presents itself for what it is. It comes at you with a take me or leave me attitude. No attempts at all to get you to feel anything but what you feel or to believe anything but what you already believe.

But every inspirational I've ever read - and granted, it's only been a couple - has left me cold because I felt I was being evangalized at. Nothing in the world I hate more someone trying to convert me. Not romantic. Not entertaining. Certainly not something I prefer to read myself even as I respect the rights of others to read it and enjoy it.

But that doesn't mean I'm anti-Christian. I'm a Christian myself, albeit a quiet one. In fact, I think I'd say I'm pro Quiet-Religion. I'm all for people who practice their faith quietly. I view one's relationship with God or whatever deity or non-deity they've chosen as a deeply personal thing, and I'm appreciative when people keep it that way. You can believe whatever you want. That's cool. Just don't try to inflict your beliefs on me.

Don't even get me started on my thoughts about how far away this country seems to be moving from the wonderful idea those whacky Founding Fathers drafted in the Constitution. Something about separation of church and state...

So...I may be MIA until Sunday because tomorrow the kids head of to Grandma and Grandpa's house and the dh and I head to my hometown for the big Twentieth High School Reunion. Should be loads of fun to chat about when I get back.

Have a great weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hear hear, Lynn! My sentiments exactly - you couldn't pay me to read a so-called 'inspirational' romance, no matter what my views on religion.