Wednesday, November 05, 2008

So Very Proud


Today, for the first time in a very long time, I feel so very proud of my country.

For the first time, in a very long time, I don't feel the need to apologize to the rest of the world.

As a nation, we've declared with our votes that the way things have been the past few years are not okay. That we want change. That we believe things can and will be better. That we are not apathetic or lazy or ignorant. It felt so good - wonderful - to be voting for a solution instead of voting against the intolerable.

I took my son with me when I went to vote. I told him what an important day it was. I let him stay up late to watch the returns come in and to see Obama's speech that took place in a park only fifteen short miles from our very house. He was so excited to be a part of history.

I am so grateful that my son has gotten to live this experience. I am so proud of my country for giving it to him.

Thank you, Mr. Obama. And congratulations!

No comments: